Sunday, November 15, 2009

Counting Blessings

Here lately, there has been much that I've been pretty damned pissy and bitchy about.
I have developed a tendency to see the negatives and dwell on those, instead of being grateful for what I do have. 

  1. I have a safe, dry and warm place to lay my head, and that place includes space for my kitties.
  2. I have amazing friends who love me and come to my aid when I need assistance.
  3. I have a church family that has been loving and supportive for my entire adult life.
  4. I have an opportunity to grow and try new things.
  5. I am generally in good health
Right now it is a struggle for me to acknowledge and count the blessings in my life, but I am going to try. 

A dear friend sent this story to me in an email. I've seen it before, but it's a good reminder for anyone.

An elderly Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life



He said to them,

"A fight is going on inside me, it is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

One wolf is evil---he is fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, competition, superiority, and ego.


The other is good ---he is joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith. ...



This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too."


They thought about it for a minute, and then one child asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win, Grandfather?"

The Elder simply replied, "The one you feed."

I am going to do my best, in this season of giving thanks, and preparing for Christmas, to feed the good one, and not the evil one.

No comments: