Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Tuesday again

Every time I post, I swear I'm going to get better at it, but somehow it just doesn't work out that way. It's been a busy week is my only excuse.

The estate sale was NOT what I had hoped, largely, I believe because of my signage (or lack thereof). The sale was in Watauga, who has, frankly, RIDICULOUS rules for their garage sale signs. The permit, which includes 1 sign, WITHOUT a stick to put it in the ground, is $5. Additional signs, which require location addresses & property owner's permission are $2 each, and there is a limit of 4 of those. The permit must be purchased at least 12 hours prior to the sale beginning. So on Wednesday, I trotted on down to the Public Works office to get my permit & whatever I have to fill out to get the additional signs, which I planned to pick up Thursday morning & place. Oh HELL NO, I can't do that. The form for the signatures IS the permit, and everything has to be turned in at once, and since it was the middle of a work day, I was pretty much SOL on the additional signs. Oh, AND there are rules about WHERE on any given property the signs can be placed. On residential property, the sign must be 10 feet from the curb. On commercial property it's 20 feet! Umm, yeah, like any commercial property has something besides a freaking parking lot 20 feet from the curb?! In the end, I sold mostly little stuff, largely at garage sale prices, and had one small item stolen from me. A knife, priced at a quarter, is not in the box of miscellaneous kitchen utensils, and I KNOW it wasn't sold. That's ok, they didn't get the warning that should have gone with it… it's probably 70 years old (or more, it was my grandmother's) and it will slice ANYTHING, and could probably amputate a limb if necessary, so do NOT handle the blade unless you absolutely must! So when they reached into whatever they'd put it into to steal it and cut off a finger, it's not my fault… What's left is going to be sorted in the next few days into "garage sale", "Ebay", "Craigslist", and "try to consign". I suspect that my planned 5x10 storage space isn't going to hold all that needs to go into it.

This morning's task was to get to the Post Office with my Ebay auction items. I've now sold & shipped 11 items, and am working on what I want to put up next. I'm thinking I'll get some posted tomorrow evening, on 5 day auctions, and hopefully get some sold and paid for before I head to Dickens on the Strand. I'm thinking perhaps a batch of Christmas things that didn't sell in the sale, that might generate some interest. And relist the 5 Polonaise ornaments that didn't sell the first time they were listed.

Tonite we played beauty parlor over here, because two of us needed the gray covered up, and another needed a haircut. So now we all have fresh & pretty hair for Thanksgiving, YAY! It's been so long since I had someone to put color on my hair, I'd almost forgotten what it's like to get in the shower after it's been colored and not have to scrub dye off my arms from trying to get the back of my hair done!

I'm off to bed, to sleep, and hopefully remember some of the random weirdness of the last week or so for RWW tomorrow.

No comments: