Friday, November 14, 2008

Peanut butter cup cookies

Ok, so a couple of weeks ago, I was at Sprouts market, a cool little farmer's market sorta place. It's not hugely different from Central Market, but it's much smaller, and doesn't have quite the variety of stuff. At any rate, I'm wandering through, and I found these TINY little peanut butter cups. Now I am NOT talking about the mini size ones that you can buy in the bags at Wallyworld. I'm talking these are, oh, maybe twice the size of a standard chocolate chip, but they look just like a peanut butter cup, and taste like them too! Well, someone pretty special to me LOVES peanut butter & chocolate, so I got some out of the bulk bin they were in, and then set off on a quest for peanut butter cup cookies. It took me a little bit of searching, and winding up with mostly those sorta thumbprint cookies that have a mini cup on them. Finally, on Allrecipes, I hit paydirt.

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
SUBMITTED BY: Dan K. "I thought this up totally by scratch! If you like peanut butter cups, you'll like this cookie."
PREP TIME 20 Min COOK TIME 10 Min READY IN 30 Min Original recipe yield 3 dozen
INGREDIENTS
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped peanut butter cups
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease cookie sheets.
Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and peanut butter chips, stirring occasionally until smooth. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time then stir in the vanilla. Stir in the melted chips until well blended then stir in the sifted dry ingredients. Finally, fold in the chopped peanut butter cups.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Now, a couple of notes from me:
*I used about 2 cups of the tiny pb cups instead of chopping up regulars or minis
* I used a regular tablespoon to drop the cookies, they were not uniform, they wound up being, oh, about 2 inches across, and I had 42 cookies.
* I'm thinking that if I'd used my cookie scoop, it may have been closer to 4.5 dozen or so.

That reminds me, I gotta put Sprouts on my list for tomorrow

No comments: